The Hidden Groves

The Hidden Groves

“Cmon Maia! We have to be home by 5 Pm” Ellie called out while pacing up the mountain pushing past the tree branches and flax leaves. “ Do we have to do this Ellie? “ Maia said, groaning. “Uhm of course we are doing this Maia, there is no going back now!”

Ellie grabs Maias hand and makes her run up the mountain with her so they can get to the hidden groves before noon. Ellie glanced at her watch, We’re almost there five more minutes . Ellie said out of breath.

They continued running up the hill until Ellie and Maia paused . “Woah.. What is this place Ellie? It’s magical” Maia said, looking at her surroundings.

“This place Maia, is the hidden groves “ Ellie said in awe smiling confidently.

Birds were chirping , flowers were blooming , A big waterfall was pouring down below them . It was incredible.

Ellie grabbed Maia’s hand again and pulled through some vines leading into a glowing cave . They Walked in and were greeted by tons of crystals and little eyes staring at them. 

“Ellie, it’s so bright in here,”  Maia said, shielding her face with her forearm. 

“Chirp Chirp”  Maia and Ellie spinned around in a millisecond they got a fright from the bird tunes.

“OH MY GOSH!” Ellie yelled “IT’S A HUIA BIRD”

Ellie looked around looking for a feather that had fallen off one of the sacred birds.

“What’s a huia bird ellie?” Maia questioned, still in shock.

“Huia birds are meant to be EXTINCT , they are a big part of Maori culture . Their feathers are very valuable . I heard a huia bird feather sold for 46,521” Ellie explained to Maia

Ellie was scurrying around on the floor trying to find a feather.

“I found one Maia, I found one!” Ellie yelled excitedly. 

“I want one too Ellie” maia said jealous 

“Just don’t disturb the birds okay Maia”

Maia agreed and creeped around the cave 

To look for any feathers that had fallen off the birds.

Ellies watched buzzed. “Ah, Maia it’s quarter to 5 we HAVE to go! RIGHT NOW.”  Ellie said as she grabbed Maias hand again and rushed out of the cave “ Ellie  wait I didn’t find a feather yet!”    “ There’s no time Maia, it’s gonna start getting dark soon!”

When they arrived home they showed their parents the feather.

“Ellie what are you gonna do with the huia bird feather?”

Ellie’s Mother Jane asked. “ I wanna keep it in a frame in my room” Ellie told her mother  . “ Her family agreed”.

What would you do?